Using yoga, meditation and a range of complimentary physical therapies, our guest today, integrative sleep therapist and trainer Deidre O’Connor tells the story of her very personal journey to solving her sleep problems.
Skip to sections:
- 2:51 Introduction
- 4:05 The decision to travel and study yoga in India
- 4:45 Bihar School of Yoga, travelling to Thailand, Buddhist monasteries
- 6:46 How yoga, meditation is conceived in India, contrasted with Western notions
- 8:22 Yoga and meditation, it’s not just about the physical practice
- 9:51 Finding value in stillness, savasana
- 11:29 Life changes and the onset of sleep problems
- 12:05 Yoga and meditation couldn’t fix the problems
- 13:00 Unconscious thought processes, going deeper to explore the root causes
- 14:32 Going beyond the ‘top layers’ of stress and anxiety
- 16:05 Trauma: dealing with deep-rooted issues
- 17:01 Diving into the specific practises
- 18:08 Deep pressure weight, weighted blankets, the enteric nervous system, serotonin
- 19:55 Bedtime yoga, calming poses you can do in bed
- 21:48 Sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems
- 23:08 Embodied mindfulness, taming the monkey mind
- 24:55 Deep breathing, guided breathing exercises, Dr Andrew Weil
- 26:14 Yoga nidra
- 27:00 Craniosacral therapy, osteopathy
- 28:38 Final thoughts, coming from a place of extraordinary anxiety
This episode’s guest:
Deirdre O’Connor has been exploring, training, teaching yoga for over 20 years. She began at the Bihar School of Yoga in India exploring many different Yoga styles – Hatha, Bhakti, Jhana and Karma Yoga.
She trained further in meditation and Buddhist philosophy, living in Tibetan Buddhist monasteries, Thai forest retreat centres and Yogic ashrams in Rishikesh.
In 2013 she created and developed her Deep Sleep Workshops and Trainings, initially in response to her own experience of restless, sleepless nights, and wanting to find a way through them without resorting to sleep medication .
Deep Sleep Clinic Website: https://www.deepsleepclinic.com/
What is Yoga Nidra?: https://sleepjunkies.com/yoga-nidra-for-sleep/
Craniosacral therapy: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318490.php
Transcript coming soon